Open When.... Letters

♫ It's Friday, Friday gotta get down on Friday! Everybody's looking forward to the weekend, weekend. 

Happy Friday Everyone! Today's post is going to to revolve around Open When... Letters.  I originally got the idea while searching through Pinterest for cute crafts to make for your significant other and I wanted to share my Open When...Letters and what I put in each of them.  


All together I ended up with 20 letters in total,.  Originally I had wanted there to be 24 {one for each month we've been married} but it realized too late that I ended up repeating a few options so I had to remove some.  Honestly, coming up with 20 options is a lot harder than you would think, so I was psyched I ended up with that many.

The List of My Letters:

1. You are Upset/Angry (but not at me)
2. You Need a Laugh
3. You're Bored
4. You're Having a Bad Day 
5. You Need to Feel My Love
6. You're Feeling Down
7. You Want to Look Forward to the Future
8. You Need a Pep Talk
9. You Miss Me
10. You're Stressed Out
11. You Can't Sleep
12. You Need a Lift
13. You Need Motivation 
14. You Don't Feel Handsome
15. You Need to Know How Much I Love You
16. We Have a Fight
17. I'm Being Grumpy
19. I'm Mad at You
19. You're Mad at Me
20. You're Sick

Each envelop contained a handwritten note from me explaining that particular envelop which was a nice touch because it gives him something from me when he opens the letter.  Below are pictures of the contents of each envelop with some explanation of the contents.

Open When... You're Upset/Angry (but not at me)
Inside this envelope is a bunch of pictures of quotes relating to being angry.  The goal was to remind him that holding onto anger only hurts him and no one else.  This envelop also included an article titles: "A Funny Email About Anger Management".  If you need a good laugh, I would recommend reading it.


Open When...You Need a Laugh
This envelop included some funny pictures that we've shared with each other, along with a few inside jokes between the two of us.  


Open When...You're Bored
This envelop included a bunch of coloring pages as well as a Sudoku and a word search.


Open When...You're Having a Bad Day 
This envelop included two books: How to Be Totally Miserable and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.  The first book is designed to be bitterly sarcastic so it makes for a funny read when you've had a bad day.  I included the Alexander book because it is one from our childhood and it always puts everything into perspective for me.  I also included "31 Ways to Stop Having a Bad Day".


Open When...You Need to Feel My Love
This envelop was pretty basic and included a bunch of pictures and a CD with all the love songs that remind me of him.  Music can speak more than words so I thought this was the best way to share my love with him.


Open When...You're Feeling Down
This envelop included a picture of Eeyore (because he is the epitome of sad) and a list of "16 Things to Do When You're Feeling Sad" and "25 Ways to Feel Better When You're Feeling Sad"


Open When...You Want to Look Forward to the Future
This envelop contained pictures of things that we are looking forward to as a couple and things that we dream of having some day.


Open When...You Need a Pep Talk 
This envelop has some quote pictures that remind him how wonderful of a person he is and to keep his chin up because I believe in him.


Open When...You Miss Me
This letter has a few pictures of us in it for him to have until I see him again.  The idea is to feel close even though we are far apart.


Open When...You're Stressed Out
This letter had a few pictures that I thought would make him laugh.  I also included a link to the Stress Relief Pig.  For whatever reason, if I am stressed out and need relief, watching this pig always does exactly that.


Open When...You Can't Sleep 
This envelop included some cute pictures and comic strips along with some funny pictures about things we do to help us fall asleep.  I also included the article: "10 Reasons You Can't Sleep and How to Fix Them


Open When...You Need a Lift
This one just had some fun pictures with words of encouragement and a letter that I wrote to him.


Open When...You Need Motivation 
This envelop has some pictures that are truly motivational while some of them are funny motivation.  I also included a letter.


Open When...You Don't Feel Handsome
This letter included a letter and some cute pictures.  If you noticed that that top right image is blank, that is because that is something very private that I only share with Justin.  


Open When...You Need to Know How Much I Love You
This one included some fun pictures as well as some Madlibs that I got from The Dating Divas.


Open When...We Have a Fight
This letter included a letter and some fun pictures.  I also included in the letter some things we should do so we can communicate effectively.


Open When...I'm Being Grumpy
This letter has some funny pictures along with a box of nerds.  Typically when I am grumpy that means one of two things: I'm tired or I'm hungry.  This shows him what to do when I'm being grumpy. 


Open When... I'm Mad at You/ You're Mad at Me
These are two almost identical envelops, except for I placed an apology picture in the one where he is mad at me.  They both included two articles: "Upset Spouse? Here's What to Say and What Not to Do" and "How to Communicate When You Are Angry".  In the "I'm mad at you" letter, I instructed Justin to give me the second article and to read the first one for himself.  For when he is mad at me, I instructed him to do the reverse.  It gives us the time that we need to cool off while reading the articles and it gives us a reminder of how to express what we need from the other person.


Open When...You're Sick
This letter just included a few cute pictures and some tea to help him feel better.  


That's all of my Open When Letters! I hope you found this post helpful and feel free to ask any questions if you have them! 

74 comments

  1. Jackie, thank you so much for sharing your open when letters, I am currently working on a set for my boyfriend and want to include some quotes and inspiration like you have done. Did you just print yours and stick them to card stock??

    -LO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello LO!

      I printed all of my pictures on regular printer paper then mounted them with 1/4" on each side onto black card stock! Glad I can help out and I hope you enjoy making this project as much as I did :)

      If you want to share when you're done, I'd love to see yours!

      ~Jackie

      Delete
    2. Hi Jackie-sorry it's taken me so long to post my project. I used a lot of your great ideas. Thanks for being a wonderful resource :) if you want to check them out they're on my tumblr laurenboucouvalas.tumblr.com

      Delete
    3. Sorry I just now so this post! I LOVE everything you did and the detail you put in is SOOOO amazing! They totally loved it right?

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly!

      I actually got a ton of my inspiration from your post and have it bookmarked on my browser! Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for help.
    Loved **

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are the quotes in the pep talk envelope?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I found them all at http://dailypeptalkfromabestfriend.com/. There are tons of them!

      Here's the wording though:

      You Say More Smart Things Than Dumb Things.
      Pep Talk: We all occasionally suffer from foot-in-mouth disease. So you said the wrong thing… forget it. You say so many right things that you were due for a fuck up. Nobody is thinking about it anymore and you shouldn’t be either.

      Today remind yourself: I say more smart things than dumb things, and that’s saying something.


      No Matter What, It’s Going To Be Fine.
      Pep talk: Don’t stress. You’re good at making big decisions like this one. You’ll think it over, talk it out, and make a choice. It will be the right choice.
      Today remind yourself: No matter what, it’s going to be fine.


      Happy And Helpful.
      Pep Talk: As long as you’re happy and helpful, little else matters. You can fulfill these two criteria by making your needs a priority and by giving your good deeds the recognition they deserve. Acknowledge that you’re a great person who does great things and, beyond that, who cares what you don’t do. You don’t need your dream job, your perfect relationship, money in the bank, or an altered reflection in the mirror before you start feeling good about yourself and your accomplishments. What you do is enough and what you are is amazing.

      Today remind yourself: Happy and helpful.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing! You gave me some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get all the pictures to send I am having a hard time with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brittany!

      I just Googled things like, quotes about anger, quotes about encouragement, quotes about love and then used the image function on Google to find the pictures.

      If you are wanting a specific picture, let me know and I can post links for you (as long as I can find them again).

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. can you tell me where to find the cartoon in "can't sleep" the one where the girl is stealing the blankets please?? thank youu

      Delete
  7. Hi Jackie! I was just wondering if I could see close up pictures of what you wrote on the note cards? I'm helping my sister make some of these for her and her boyfriends 1 year anniversary. I was just thinking that if I saw what you wrote I could give her a better idea of what to write.

    Thanks,
    KP :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello KP,

      Thank you for stopping by my blog!

      As far as the letters go, they were kind of catered specifically to my relationship between my husband and myself, so they will likely not work too well for your sister :) But I can tell you that each letter was directly related to the envelop it was in.

      For example: Open When... You Want to Look Forward to the Future had a letter about how excited I was to start the next steps in our lives with him (like buying a home and having children) and it talked about how I would not want to go on any of those adventures with anyone but him.

      I know it is not too much information, but I hope it can point her in the right direction and I'm glad she is doing these! It's such a personal and fun gift idea that everyone is bound to love.

      Delete
    2. Oh Jackie this is so cool!

      Delete
  8. How long did this take you? it's amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you! I did not work on these all at once (thankfully!) but over a few weeks period.

      I started by deciding how many envelopes I wanted to do and which topics were going to be in the envelopes. Then I created folders on my laptop for each envelop and filled them with pictures/quotes I found that I thought would fit nicely with the topic.

      Then, over time I printed off the contents of each folder for the envelopes (this was the most time consuming part because I had to do it when he was out of the apartment) and cut them down to size. If it was a smaller picture I backed it with black cardstock I got at JoAnne. Then, once everything was purchased (candies and other) I took about 30 minutes to put them together and wrap them up with a pretty blue bow.

      So all together probably 7 hours? But I cant say for sure. I can say I gave them to him a while ago and he is still opening them, so the gift keeps on giving :)

      Delete
  9. @MartineGordon - I have not forgotten your request! Here is the link to the image of the blanket hogger!

    http://sharingblankets.com/2011/04/wwjd-3-what-would-jigg-do-when-he-cant-sleep-at-night/wwjd-3/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jackie, Great Blog! ^_^

    already on my 10th open letter ... I'm just wondering what's the reaction of your significant after receiving these letters?

    cheers,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne,

      I just saw your comment - so very sorry.

      My husband was thrilled to get them. Over the last several months he has opened them up and they always bring a smile to his face :)

      Delete
  11. What did you write on the open when.. you are sick. I'm trying to think of something to do for my boyfriend but can't come up with anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The letter basically said, "I'm sorry you're not feeling well, here's some things to make you feel better and smile. Let me know if I can do anything to help make you feel better".

      Does that help?

      Delete
  12. Very nice idea ! i'll do it for my boyfriend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. my girlfriend is going to Haiti for a month and i was thinking of doing these for her. do you have any suggestions for what topics to do/ what to put in them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you miss me
      When ypu can't sleep
      When your feeling sick
      When your homesick
      Do ones for specific family members like if your missing your mom or best friend and get them to write a little something...
      If you need a hug and put a very small teddy in it... Things like that for kier above me

      Delete
  14. When you miss me
    When ypu can't sleep
    When your feeling sick
    When your homesick
    Do ones for specific family members like if your missing your mom or best friend and get them to write a little something...
    If you need a hug and put a very small teddy in it... Things like that for kier above me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi sweetie, could you please show me how you included the article "A Funny Email About Anger Management". ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I just printed a copy of the article out and put it in the envelope - nothing too fancy :)

      Delete
  16. Hello Jackie!
    This is so awesome!!! I was just wondering if there was a link or website to where you found all those pics of funny/cute/quirky sayings and pictures? I have been just googling all the time and am just wondering if you recommended a different approach!!

    Thank you so much,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen! Sorry for the delay! I just googled and googled until I found what I wanted specifically. If you are looking for a particular picture, I would possibly email it to you :) Just let me know.

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you SO MUCH ! You have just pretty much saved my life haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you were able to get something from the post! Make sure to share your results with me so we can both celebrate! :)

      Delete
  19. WOW !!! I am amazed. This is just what I have been looking for. You need to know how awesome this project is. It is going to make my friend really happy when I do this for her. Absolutely Incredible

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jackie, Thanx soooo much!!!! This is AWESOME! You gave me a lot of inspiration. Can't wait to make my boyfriend open when letters :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey there miss Jackie! I love these letters. I was wondering what size envelopes they were? Since they are small enough to fit the index cards

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! I’m doing this for my mom and was looking for ideas about what to put in the letters. I already have what I want them to be about but I was wondering if you could give me some ideas about what to put in each letter. My topics are:
    1. When you’re missing me
    2. Feel like crying
    3. Need to know someone cares
    4. Feeling anxious
    5. I graduate
    6. You’re worried
    7. Need motivation
    8. Feeling insecure
    9. Had/Having a bad day
    10. Feeling overwhelmed
    11. Forgot how strong you are
    12. We haven’t talked in a while

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved all your ideas ...I am going to live abroad for 6 years and I have to leave my family and friends , so I think is a good idea to make them feel that I am close too them even when I am miles away ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this!! I am a 13 year old and love the idea of this and your post helped me alot! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I am glad that you like this! If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jackie,

      Do you by any chance have any templates of copies of quotes and things that you sell or are willing to share?

      You have done a fantastic job.

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello. I am currently making these for my boyfriend for our one year anniversary as we are currently doing long distance. He is in Germany and I am in Sydney. Yours are fantastic. I have done a few but don't think ill end up with as many as you. I am a bit stuck on what to put in:
    When you miss me.
    When you need motivation.
    When you are feeling stressed.
    When you can't sleep.
    When you need to feel my love.
    I am making a CD with some songs that remind me of us but am unsure which envelope to put it in.
    Also are there any suggestions for a CD for when he is mad at me. Songs about being sorry/forgiveness?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm having the hardest time and this has helped me tremendously!! My only child, my daughter is moving. She's going 11 states away and that's about 10 too far. I'm going to put this in one of her "open upon arrival" boxes so that she sees them. Thanks for the ideas. :) P.S. I sure could use a couple of "....when you're sad..." envelopes right about now! :p

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG! Thank God I found this. I have a BF and I had no idea of what to give him for our anniversary and thx to you now I do! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved this idea and going to steal some of the general ideas. My boyfriend (well now ex) just got accepted into the Air Force and actually will be away for over a year. I had to write him a warning letter though. Talking about how some of the "If you need to feel loved" and "if you're feeling horny" letters were written pre break up going how we'll see each other again. I still want to try again when he finishes training, he doesn't want that pressure. He thinks its unhealthy to hold onto that promise when it might not happen. I'm not asking for a promise. Only a chance. But anyway... rambling. Wondering if your partner reused a card. Like if you only had one sad card and he felt it several times did he look at it the several times? I do need to keep it light enough for him and have little presents in a care package (like bubble wrap, cards and a stress ball.) Plus already got two fantasties for him and three love letters that he can pick randomly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      He has reused a few of them before :) Especially the "When You're Having a Bad Day" one. The good thing is a lot of these will apply well after they have been opened.

      Good luck with your ex!

      Delete
  30. Hi, I loved this idea! but I'm not sure to what to write in the letters. can you give me some nice idea please? thank youu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for stopping by! For the letters, I just wrote a personal note to him. Some of them were little inside jokes, and some of them were letters of encouragement. It is just things that meant a lot to the both of us :)

      Delete
  31. Hi Jackie!
    I thoroughly enjoyed that!! :)
    From a guy's perspective - I would LOVE to get those from a girl. Just warms my heart! Even your handwriting is warm and well, girly!! ;)

    Seriously, I couldn't imagine a guy not feeling warm and fuzzy - you know, in the place he can't show the Dudes!! :P
    I'm actually going to try to find more of these handwritten by ladies notes. They seriously put a smile on my face!

    Thanx,
    Carmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carmine! I am glad you enjoyed the notes :) Were you able to find any other inspiration elsewhere?

      Delete
  32. What size envelopes did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Superfly98! I apologize I missed your comment! For the envelopes I used 5"x 7" envelopes I had laying around my house

      Delete
  33. Thank you Jackie for sharing this... i suck at coming up with cute things to say to my boyfriend and looking at your letters made me have a bunch of ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mae! Thank you for the comment! I am so glad I was able to give you some inspiration for your boyfriend. Let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  34. Hi Jackie! Just wanted to say a quick thank you for saving my butt! Doing this for my boyfriend for christmas - you're pictures and images were PERFECT!! So just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing this! I owe ya one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael! I am glad you will be able to use these for your boyfriend! Let me know how they turn out and how he likes them :)

      Delete
  35. Hey!I love your cards and think they're beautiful!I was wondering if you can't find coloured envelopes what can you do instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Demilade! If I was looking for colored envelops, I would check Amazon first. If I could not find them on there, I would likely try to make my own! There are several videos on YouTube that have tutorials on how to make envelopes :) Try this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msOPWuC8Hdg

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  36. Jackie, Thanks for sharing what you actually put into the envelopes. I wanted to make a set for my son away at college and could find all kinds of "open when" ideas for the outside of the envelope, but besides a personal note I wasn't sure what people were putting in them. You've given me some great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! I'm glad you got some good ideas! You will have to share how yours turns out when you're done!

      Delete
  37. Jackie, these are adorable! Thinking of doing these for my boyfriend on our upcoming anniversary. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. hello. I was wondering if you can help me with the "open when you're feeling down" the little card that says " 16 things to do when feeling sad, I was wondering where you got that. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! This is the link for the 16 Things to Do When You're Feeling Sad: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/10-ways-to-cheer-yourself_n_2479613.html?slideshow=true#gallery/274901/5

      I just typed them all up in a list for easier readability :)

      Delete
  40. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed as it does not meet the blog hosts standards. If you would like to collaborate with the blog host, please send an email to runwithjackabee@gmail.com.

      Delete
  41. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  42. hi! i am a 15 year old girl looking for something to do for my beautiful girlfriend, and your post helped a lot! especially the one about having trouble sleeping. she always has a hard time sleeping without me there so i usually end up giving her my sweatshirt cause it smells like me. of couarse she does the same for me. thank you tons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you got some ideas from my blog! Sorry it took so long to respond, I just came back to blogging :)

      Delete

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!a