Create Your Own Photo Booth Tutorial

Hello Everyone! I hope your week is going well and you are having a wonderful Thursday! Michigan is seeing another Polar Vortex and it's making for some very cold weather here in Detroit.  I do not think I have bundled up this much since at least 2007, but I am glad we had snow this year.

Today's post is going to be entirely dedicated to how to  make your own photo booth.  If you remember from my New Years Eve post, I made a photo booth for my friends and I to take some fun pictures.  It was super easy to make, and the best part is I get to reuse most of the materials for years to come. 


As I mentioned before, the original idea was inspired from The Pencil Jar.  I loved her props and all of the fun ideas for decorations so I adapted it just enough so that it would work for our apartment!

What You Need to Make this Photo Booth:
  • Camera with timer
  • Tripod
  • LOTS of card stock in the colors of your choice.  I used silver, gold, black and white sparkle paper from JoAnn's.  However, you can change the colors up and make a cute design for any occasion.
  • Tape
  • String lights
  • Scissors
  • Hot Glue
  • Cake pop sticks or thing wooden sticks
  • Miscellaneous Props
To make this photo booth, I arranged the card stock on the floor in the pattern that I wanted I wanted.  Then I began taping them together to create a grid for the background.  Once the grid was alllll taped together, I began hanging the whole thing up on the wall.  In total I had 25 pieces of card stock which gave me a 5 x 5 pattern big enough to fit the space on my wall.

Once the background was hung, I took some of our extra Christmas lights and hung them up to add some more sparkle.  If you decide to add lights on the background, make sure to play with your camera to get the correct setting with the added light.

Once the camera was set and the background was hung, I began cutting out my props.  If you are willing and able, you can freehand your props and cut them out.  I had a bowler hat, 2 mustaches, a pair of glasses and a bow tie that I cut out of the leftover glitter paper from the background.  If you are not bold enough to make the props yourself, you can try these and these and print them yourself.  

I also had some props from when we celebrated 2013 in a box and I pulled those out.  All of the extra props you see I bought at Walmart.  They have cute options at reasonable prices {especially if you go on New Years Day}.

Nick, Sarah & Myself

Sarah and Kelsey - Such silly siblings


If you would like to make your own photo strips, you can use PicMonkey.  To make the strip you see above, just create a collage and add a border with a large caption space for you to add your own words.  It is very easy, but it does take some time.  

For some other fun ideas for New Years Eve, check out my Pinterest Board

Question of the Day:
What other props would you use for a photo booth?


Post a Comment

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!a