A Social Experiment: Smartphones and People

Happy Wednesday Friends! I hope your week is off to a great start and you are ready to finish the rest of the week.  Last week, my friend shared this article on her Facebook about the affects smartphones have on our relationships and I found it very interesting.  


Did you know that using your phone around someone else can make you seem less trustworthy? Think about that - how many times do you go out to dinner or coffee with a friend and you have your phone sitting on the table? You may not be using your phone, or even interacting with your phone, but just the mere presence of your phone can actually cause a level of distrust from the other person toward yourself.  

I know that for myself, it really frustrates me when I am talking to someone and they are looking at their phone.  It makes me feel like I am not important enough to listen to for the two or three minutes I need their attention.  

So, I thought it might be interesting to participate in a little social experiment of my own. I am going to call this experiment Operation No Smartphone.  For the rest of the month of February, whenever I am in the presence of another peer, I am going to put my phone{s} away.  Obviously, there will be extenuating circumstances where having my phone will be a necessity, but for the most part, I believe it should not cause me too much angst to put it away.

Question of the Day: Do you think you could put your smartphone away in front of other people?

I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments

  1. I try to not use my smartphone when out with friends, unless it's to take pictures. It's hard though, especially if I get bored. The exception would be like last night, when I was at a Yelp event, so everyone is tweeting/Instagramming/on Yelp during it :) same for blogger conferences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, I try not to use it. I think the biggest change I will see is at work - I tend to always have an eye on my phone. We will see though!

      Delete

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!a