Cupids Undie Run Recap

Happy Wednesday Friends! I hope you are having a great week so far! 

Today I wanted to share with you about the race that I participated in this past weekend with Christina! If you can remember, I made a plan to run one race a month for the entire year.  January I ran the Disney 1/2 Marathon and this month I participated in Cupid's Undie Run.  I had never heard about this race until Christina told me to sign up and run it with her.  


A little bit about Cupid's Undie Run

"Cupid’s Undie Run is a mile(ish) run in your bedroom-best on Valentine’s weekend. No, we’re not crazy, we’re just crazy serious about raising money for The Children’s Tumor Foundation (see link here)".  "The Cupid's Undie Run raises money for Neurofibromatosis (NF): a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow on nerves throughout the body, causing blindness, deafness, learning disabilities and severe chronic pain."

But why the Underwear?

You already know we run to raise money for CTF and kick NF in the butt. But why do we run with our butts out? It’s simple. We run in our undies because people with NF can’t cover up their tumors. They can’t put clothes on to feel more comfortable, so why should we?

To read more about Cupid's Undie Run - check out their site here.


So Here we Are:

When Christina asked me to do this run with her I thought she was absolutely crazy, but since I am working to constantly push myself out of my comfort zone, I signed up.

The day of the race, we bundled ourselves up with as many layers possible because there was no way we were going to run outside in our underwear.  No. Way.  After arriving to the race, we were greeted by one of the best parties I have ever seen - there was delicious bar food, great music (think like club music), balloons everywhere and alcohol.



Oh and did I mentioned the hundreds of people walking around in their underwear? Every where you looked there were people just standing there in their underwear.  And, to be honest, after a while we began to realize that having all of the layers on was really not what this race was about.

So to join in the festivities, we decided to go in our athletic pants and sports bras - not quite full underwear garb, but out of our comfort zones for sure.  And to be honest, after a while it was liberating.  So often we are so quick to judge ourselves when other people do not care what we look like.  After a while, I forgot I was in just my sports bra and began to just enjoy the party.


While we waited for the race to start, we had our pictures taken in the photo booth and had our faces painted.  I felt like such a little kid when I got my face painted but I loved every minute of it.  We also ran into one of my old friends and were able to meet her roommate and hang out with them for a little while.  

When it was time to finally run, we made our way up to the front door and realized then exactly how crazy we were.  On Saturday, the high temperature was 16° with a windchill of about 1° - think about that.  These people, including us, were about to run outside with significantly less clothing than should be appropriate in this weather.  AND on top of that, we were to run a mile.

And we did.  We ran that mile surround by hundreds of other crazy people just like ourselves.  I loved every minute of it and would happily do this again.  In fact, I've already told Christina that if I am around, I will be signing up to run this race again.


Cupid's Undie Run takes place all over the United States, so if you are wanting to participate, you should check it out

Our afternoon ended with a quick stop to Krispy Kreme for a heart-shaped doughnut in honor of Valentine's Day.   


Such a fun race! I look forward to sharing my next race with you all next month! As always, if you have suggestions of a run that I should participate in, please do share! 

To read more about the races I participated in already and will be participating in for the rest of the year, please check out my 2016 Races Page!


Question of the Day: Would you run in your underwear for a good cause? 


I'd love to hear from you!





Post a Comment

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!a