Show and Tell Tuesday: Life's Mixtape

Happy Tuesday Friends! I hope all is well and you are having a great day so far! Today I am teaming up with Andrea for another fun round of Show and Tell Tuesdays.  


My Mix Tape for Life

This one is going to be a bit fun! Music has always been a huge part of my life, so of course I can easily identify music from any and all stages.

Childhood (Ages 5-12)

I lived for Nsync, Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls.  Every where I went, I was listening to their music on repeat.  I have very distinct memories of playing their must super loud in my friends basement and rollerblading around to the music.  And, you know, Spice World was my favorite move of all time.  I actually watched that movie last August, and I have to say, I laughed more than once.  Isn't amazing how far video production has come over the last twenty or so years?  




Another big one from my childhood was Shania Twain.
I loved her music and loved to sing to her music.  Honestly, I think she is the reason that I started to really enjoy singing music.  If I am correct, my grandma had a copy of my cousin and I singing "You're Still the One" - her the girl part and me the boy part.  Man what I wouldn't give to listen to that now.



Teen Years

This part of my life was the part where you shared mixed CD's with everyone and it was also the part of my life where my music was alllllllll over the place. It was during this time that I realized how important music really is and how much it can affect your mood.  And so I used music to get through the rough days and to lift up the good days.  

Ironically, The All American Rejects have made a revival on my playlist lately.  It would appear that they still have the ability to get my head straight when I am getting in my own way.  Specifically "Move Along" has been helping me a lot lately.  


Linkin Park was a favorite of my step-dad's, so I ended up stealing almost all of his CD's and listening to them on repeat.  I had never really enjoyed screaming in my music until I listened to them.  I have to say, when I was having a really bad day, they were my go to band.


Panic! At the Disco was a bit more of an eclectic one for me.  Their music is all over the place, but I loved listening to it and loved talking about them with my friends.  They were a big hit in the group.


Ironically, it was also during this time that I realized how much I looooveee Jazz Music.  I quickly became obsessed with Louis Armstrong, The Rat Pack, Frank Sinatra and Michael Buble.  If I could find their music, I was trying to listen to it.  There is something so reassuring to know that everything you hear from them is their actual voice and it is not altered.   These men (and women) had such talent and I was drawn to that.   



It was also during this time that I really got into rock from the 70's and 80's and listened to a ton of it.  I am a bit sad that I no longer have copies of these CD's - I think I will have to take some time to get them back onto my iTunes.  
  



College Years

College brought with it some very interesting music.  

The most surprising part of college was the introduction and immediate love for KPop music.  After being introduced to Girls' Generation, I started downloading as much Korean Pop music as I could.  Their songs are all so upbeat and so fun to listen to.  If you have not had a chance to listen to any KPop music, make sure to check out (at the very least) Girls' Generation.  


Another big group I was into during college was Cage the Elephant.  I was actually exposed to their music through a video game Justin was playing (Borderlands) and fell in love.  They are actually working on releasing another CD and I am excited to see what they produce. 


If you have never listened to Sara Bareilles, I would highly recommend her music.  She definitely says it how it is and all of her songs are super catchy.  I honestly think that I spent an entire summer listening to her on repeat.  I love listening to and singing her songs.


I loved Britney Spears as a kid, but I did not really appreciate her until I was a junior/senior in college.  Her music was some of the first to get my into more of the fast paced and up beat music.


It was during college that I really got into Folk/Folk Rock music for the first time.  Thank you to Wendy for giving me the wonderful music of Mumford & Sons.  I love them so much.

These are only a few of the people I listened to in college.  College brought with it a vast array of music with meeting new people and learning about their music styles.  I have to say I experience a lot of growth and experimenting with music in college and I am so glad I did.


Adulthood

For about two years after we got married, I only listened to Electronic/Trance music.  I love the beat and I love the repetitiveness.  I explored all types of electronic and landed with a few groups that I loved the most - Skrillex being one of them.


Unfortunately life has been so crazy the last few years that I have not been able to really sit down and update my music collection.  Right now my music has consisted of me listening to whatever is on the radio.  I really should work on updating my music since I am not a huge fan of what is out there right now.

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

Well that is all for today's post!

Next up on Show and Tell Tuesdays.....

Fantasy Talk Show 


Question of the Day: What is your favorite pin on pinterest?

I'd love to hear from you!

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!a