Maybe it is the first hints of fall in the air, the return of routines, or the feeling that the year is quietly giving us another chance to start fresh. September does not need to be filled with big plans, expensive outings, or elaborate fall activities to feel special. Sometimes, it is the little things that make an ordinary day feel a bit more memorable.
Lately, I have been thinking about how I can slow down and actually enjoy this time of year instead of rushing straight toward Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the holiday season. So this September, I am romanticizing the everyday.
Here are 10 simple and inexpensive ways I am making September feel a little more magical.
1. Starting My Mornings a Little More Slowly
I am trying to resist the temptation to immediately grab my phone and jump into the day.
After I get my workout done, I want to give myself a few extra minutes in the morning to enjoy my coffee, open the blinds, read a few pages of a book, or simply sit quietly before the day gets busy.
It does not have to be a perfectly curated morning routine. Sometimes romanticizing your life simply means actually noticing the morning you are already having.
2. Making My Coffee Feel Like an Event
I am a firm believer that you do not need to go to a coffee shop every morning to make your coffee feel special.
A favorite mug, a seasonal creamer, a little cinnamon, or even just taking the time to sit down and enjoy it can make an ordinary cup of coffee feel like a small treat.
September feels like the perfect excuse to bring out the cozy mugs and start enjoying all those little fall flavors.
I am a firm believer that you do not need to go to a coffee shop every morning to make your coffee feel special.
A favorite mug, a seasonal creamer, a little cinnamon, or even just taking the time to sit down and enjoy it can make an ordinary cup of coffee feel like a small treat.
September feels like the perfect excuse to bring out the cozy mugs and start enjoying all those little fall flavors.
I have my eye on this mug for this fall - it's so silly but I really love it:
3. Reading Somewhere Other Than My Usual Spot
One of my favorite ways to make an ordinary day feel different is to change my surroundings.
Instead of always reading in the same chair, I might take my book to a coffee shop, sit outside on a cool afternoon, head to the library, or find a quiet corner somewhere new.
The book does not have to change. Sometimes all you need is a different setting to make reading feel like an adventure.
One of my favorite ways to make an ordinary day feel different is to change my surroundings.
Instead of always reading in the same chair, I might take my book to a coffee shop, sit outside on a cool afternoon, head to the library, or find a quiet corner somewhere new.
The book does not have to change. Sometimes all you need is a different setting to make reading feel like an adventure.
4. Taking a Walk Just to Notice Things
Not every walk needs to be about getting steps in or checking something off a fitness list.
Sometimes I want to take a walk with no real destination and pay attention to what is around me.
The changing leaves. The cooler temperatures. The way the neighborhood looks at the beginning of fall. The houses decorated for the season.
September is such a beautiful transition month, and I want to actually notice it while it is happening.
5. Creating a September Playlist
There is something about having a soundtrack for a particular season.
I love the idea of putting together a September playlist filled with songs that make me want to roll the windows down, take a scenic drive, or curl up with a book afterward.
It does not have to be exclusively fall songs. I think the best seasonal playlists are simply songs that make you feel like that particular time of year.
And years from now, I know I will hear one of those songs and immediately be transported back to September.
There is something about having a soundtrack for a particular season.
I love the idea of putting together a September playlist filled with songs that make me want to roll the windows down, take a scenic drive, or curl up with a book afterward.
It does not have to be exclusively fall songs. I think the best seasonal playlists are simply songs that make you feel like that particular time of year.
And years from now, I know I will hear one of those songs and immediately be transported back to September.
6. Buying Myself One Small Seasonal Treat
I do not need to completely redecorate my house every time a new season arrives.
Instead, I like the idea of choosing one small thing that makes me happy.
Maybe it is a new candle, a cozy pair of socks, a cute mug, a fall-themed book, or a little bouquet of flowers. Or if I'm feeling the need for a sweet treat, I can get caramel apples or some other seasonal sweet treat.
The goal is not to spend a lot of money. It is simply to bring one little thing into my everyday life that makes me smile.
I do not need to completely redecorate my house every time a new season arrives.
Instead, I like the idea of choosing one small thing that makes me happy.
Maybe it is a new candle, a cozy pair of socks, a cute mug, a fall-themed book, or a little bouquet of flowers. Or if I'm feeling the need for a sweet treat, I can get caramel apples or some other seasonal sweet treat.
The goal is not to spend a lot of money. It is simply to bring one little thing into my everyday life that makes me smile.
7. Having a Cozy Night at Home
Not every Friday or Saturday night needs to involve going somewhere.
Sometimes the perfect September evening is staying home, putting on comfortable clothes, ordering or making something easy for dinner, lighting a candle, and settling in with a good book or movie.
I think there is something really lovely about treating a quiet night at home like an actual plan instead of something you are doing because you had no other plans.
Not every Friday or Saturday night needs to involve going somewhere.
Sometimes the perfect September evening is staying home, putting on comfortable clothes, ordering or making something easy for dinner, lighting a candle, and settling in with a good book or movie.
I think there is something really lovely about treating a quiet night at home like an actual plan instead of something you are doing because you had no other plans.
8. Making Ordinary Errands Feel a Little More Fun
I am trying to stop thinking of errands as things I have to rush through.
Put on a playlist or podcast. Grab a coffee. Take the scenic route. Stop somewhere you've been meaning to visit. Wear an outfit you really like even though you are only going to Target.
There is no rule saying everyday errands have to feel boring.
Sometimes romanticizing your life is simply deciding that you are going to enjoy the little moments in between the big ones.
9. Having a September Reading Goal
September feels like the perfect month for a reading reset.
I want to choose a few books that I am genuinely excited about rather than turning reading into another thing I have to accomplish.
Maybe it is finally picking up the book that has been sitting on my shelf forever. Maybe it is a cozy mystery, a romance, or a book that reminds me of fall.
The goal is not necessarily to read a certain number of books. It is to make reading feel exciting again.
September feels like the perfect month for a reading reset.
I want to choose a few books that I am genuinely excited about rather than turning reading into another thing I have to accomplish.
Maybe it is finally picking up the book that has been sitting on my shelf forever. Maybe it is a cozy mystery, a romance, or a book that reminds me of fall.
The goal is not necessarily to read a certain number of books. It is to make reading feel exciting again.
10. Letting September Be a Fresh Start
This might be my favorite one.
We tend to think of January as the time for fresh starts, but there is something about September that feels like a second New Year.
New routines. New goals. New books. New habits. New possibilities.
If there is something I have been putting off, September feels like a good time to begin again without waiting for January.
I do not need to completely reinvent my life. I can simply make a few small changes that make my everyday life feel more like the life I want to be living.
Romanticizing the Ordinary
I think that is what I love most about this idea of romanticizing your life.
It is not about pretending everything is perfect. It is not about spending a ton of money or creating a picture-perfect routine for social media.
It is about paying attention.
It is noticing the first cool morning of September. Enjoying your coffee. Reading a few extra pages before bed. Taking the long way home. Buying yourself flowers just because. Putting on your favorite sweater. Watching the sunset. Making an ordinary Tuesday night feel a little less ordinary.
September does not have to be extraordinary to be special.
Sometimes, we just have to slow down enough to notice that it already is.
Have a wonderful day,
Jackie
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Jackie
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. Read my full disclosure policy here.


Post a Comment
Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!a