Friendly Reminder

Hi All! I trust your Monday morning is going well and that you had a wonderful weekend.

This post is going to be a bit more sentimental than some of the other ones, but I felt that it was something that I needed to share for today.  So as many of you know, I work in downtown Detroit and commute a rather long distance to work there.  Honestly, working in Detroit is such an amazing thing and I have really learned to appreciate the city and all of it's wealth.  But that being said, Detroit is still an impoverished city.  
Every day that I drive to and from work I pass at least five homeless men and it always breaks my heart to see them suffering.

Justin and I have always talked about what we could do to help serve them and the only thing that has come to mind is giving food and other necessities to them but due to our busy schedules we have never done anything.  We've wanted to stop and give them our food before but due to the locations that they sit on, unless you are the person stopped in the front of the line at the light, you really cannot do anything without blocking traffic majorly.

Today, however, was the first opportunity that has presented itself for me to help serve one of the people living on the streets.  On my way into work, I was stopped at a red light and saw a man sitting there.  He had a sign up that said, "Help me, I'm homeless.  Anything will help".  I knew right then that I had to give him something.  Since Justin had packed my lunch for the day, I grabbed my sandwich and gave it to the nice man.  You know what he said? "God bless you".  And for the first time ever, that phrase really struck me hard.

Now, I want to let all of you know that I am not posting this because I want praise for the "kindness" that I did today because that is not what this post is about.  It is to talk to you about how profoundly this man affected my life today just by saying, "God bless you".  To be honest, I almost broke down into tears because of this interaction.  It struck me so hard that I have been taking advantage of what I am blessed with every day.  The fact that me giving a man a sandwich (a sandwich that I take to work almost every day and think nothing of) could be such a major blessing, made me realize that I have been taking for granted what I have been blessed with.  It made me realize that I need to start focusing more on what I do have than what I do not have and to start sharing my wealth with others instead of keeping it all for myself.

The most ironic part of everything that happened today was this quote I received in my Dove chocolate this morning.


So with all of this being said, I just wanted to send everyone a friendly reminder to be grateful for what you have because it truly is a wonderful gift.

Question of the Day:
What ways have you done a kindness for other people?

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped by! Please share your thoughts with me and I will do my best to respond ASAP!a